2.03.2008

History Lesson

As long as African-American history is only an elective in schools across our great United States, the possibility of a great African-American future remains as dark as the history from which the race was born.







Recently, a few friends and I were discussing the great debate of DuBois and Booker T.

Among my African American group of friends were, college students, college graduates, master's candidates, a school teacher, fashion designers, an art director, a nurse, an FBI agent and more.

Well educated most would assume.

As our chat grew longer, we were dismayed in the fact that we knew so little of so much of the black history from which we come. We spent the evening piecing together the facts we knew about Fredrick Douglas and Marcus Garvey.

With our eyes near tears and our mouths filled with laughter, we questioned why Fredrick Douglas was just another Black face on the wall of our elementary school. Why I know the complete story of George Washington but can hardly tell the achievements of George Washington Carver.

Is it less relevant to know the achievements of the African American People?

Would knowing Black history transform Black America? Would it transform America?

+ + + +

I recently read the autobiography, "Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas, An American Slave."

He paints a vivid picture of slavery, which still seems to be relevant to the African American experience today.

I'm learning from his stories. My friends and I are standing on his shoulders.

How many more shoulders do I have to stand on that I don't know about?